Hey everyone, Happy New Year! I know we’re already over a week into 2019 but I was taking a bit of a break from blogging … plus I’ve been sick since last year (sounds kind of funny when I say that!) until now so feeling constantly under the weather doesn’t help either!
Regardless, I wanted to make sure I blogged about my goals and hopes for the new year. I knew I had a couple of things I wanted to achieve, but writing them all down made me realize I actually had more things I would like to get done than what I initially thought … by a lot!
I didn’t model these after SMART goals, but I know it’s also fairly realistic and achievable for me. So I got the AR part, at least! With that said, here are my personal and professional (blog-related) goals!
- Get a stable job (preferably with benefits) – As of today, I’ve officially got myself a full-time job … with benefits! One bad thing about the dental hygiene field is that there are barely any full time positions, meaning most work without benefits and often work 2 or 3 jobs to get a full schedule. It seems like I’ve landed a job with a legit company and I’m officially starting on the 21st of the month! I guess that leaves me a little over a week to draft a couple of blog posts, eh?
- Pay off loans – I’ve got like 5k left in student loans and I’m challenging myself to pay it all by the beginning of March!
- Learn to cook more recipes
- Learn better time management – like learning to set aside time for social media scrolling. The amount of time spent on it throughout the day is NUTS!
- Save up to move out and get my own apartment – Living with relatives for a long long time gets really old. Also, the internet here SUCKS. I might’ve considered making YouTube videos if it weren’t for this blasted internet! I think that’s enough for me to want to move out.
- Keep track of my finances – Doing this will help me save up for emergencies, my own apartment, and put personal expenditures in its place … thus also helping me to learn self-control!!
- Save up for boyfriend’s visit – It’s his first time flying out to anywhere so I’m quite excited for that! If I get my own apartment first, he’ll be able to stay the entire summer ^^
- (Maybe) Try to make a plan to go to the Philippines for cousin’s wedding – KEY, if you’re reading this, I will try my best to visit but I can’t make promises! I don’t know if my new employers will be happy that I’m requesting for like 4 vacations this year!! LOL
- (Maybe) Try to make a plan to visit friends in London – You know who you are! I’d love to meet up but I can’t make any promises obviously!
- Pitch to more companies – I successfully found a company last year who has agreed to do a paid collaboration with me – I should be receiving their item soon! In addition, I will be helping promote their giveaway (be on the lookout!) on Instagram. It’s not a big amount by any means but any amount in itself is a huge step for my blog. I’d like to keep this momentum going by seeking other companies and offering my services more. I always feel like my followers and blog stats aren’t enough but I know and can see others who are getting paid collabs, and they’re similar to me, if not a bit smaller! It makes me realize how I just kept holding myself back. NO MORE, 2019! My goal for this year is to get 3 more paid collaborations or sponsored posts this year. It’s not entirely ambitious, but I try to make it fairly realistic.
Another thing besides pitching to companies is being able to realize what “niche” or area I’d like to focus on. I love tea, I like clothes and accessories, I love stationary, and geeky and cute things! I think it makes sense to only focus on a few of these … a lot of thinking is involved.
- Make a media kit
- Learn better time management
- More guest posts!
- Read more blog posts from all you amazing people
- Continue growing social media and engagement
- Take better pictures – This includes getting photo props, finding a few filters that I like and sticking to it so all my photos have the same “theme”.
- Learn more about SEO, affiliate marketing, and Pinterest – I bought a course in all of these (except for Pinterest) and I’ve begun watching a few of the videos. I’m super excited to learn and hope I can apply it to my blog!
- Make an art Instagram account, build art portfolio, draw more – I can actually mark this off my list because that was one of the first things I did on New Year’s Day – open up my art Insta! In case you’re interested in following my journey of growing my art portfolio, you can find my profile here (@geraldinedraws). There’s only one picture there but rest assured, I’m excited to fill it up and grow it just as I did for my blogging Instagram account!I have a goal of getting at least one commission job this year. It doesn’t matter to me how much it’s for or what it is, but that I can start making money off my artwork / skills! Being able to blog and draw full time for a job is my ultimate dream. (P.S. Do you need to revamp your logo or need something illustrated? Message me! The cover image of this post was drawn by me! 😉 )
What about you? What things do you want to tackle for the new year?!